[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Apr 30 18:58:26 EDT 2019

< Why do people seek this (as Eric puts it) emotional comfort with their ways of knowing? >

Either spacetime works in a surprising way and commonsense intuition is just wrong -- to cling to a familiar way of knowing amounts to taking the blue pill -- settling for crude satisficing heuristics to muddle through as a bag-of-water in what appears to be a 3D space.   Or we are totally driven and our experiments are fate.  In one case humans can't engage their special-purpose DSPs (so to speak) and fast thinking is useless -- we aren't equipped to function efficiently in that alien world.  In the latter case, it just doesn't matter what we calculate.    I think the potential for cognitive dissonance here is pretty clear.

Marcus