[FRIAM] description - explanation - metaphor - model

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Dec 24 13:08:42 EST 2019

Dave (et al) -

I haven't had the bandwidth/focus to follow this line of discussion
closely nor well, much less stick my fat foot in the middle of it,
however your synopsis/redux/refactor here is very well presented and
while I have some pause with some of your assertions/conclusions,
overall rings "true" (Oupsie!)...

In any case, I've started the force on my annual solstice narcissus
bulbs and lit my solstice ("magical luck reversing") candle (ritually
purchased at pojoaque village market in lieu of one of the many saints I
could choose from) and am trying to refocus my "self" toward a future
(path through the multiverse of adjacent possibles?) which
simultaneously embraces the unknowable whilst maintaining enough of a
rationalization of the path of (apparently adjacent) events strung out
behind me in my (imaginary) rear-view mirror, stretching back to some
aft-horizon roughly correlated with the degree of my neurological
senescence or perhaps the degree of reinforcement from my extended
context (retelling all my old stories at holiday meals?).  All this to
frame the issue of "objective reality" and "truth" in terms of my own
decisions in the light of my beliefs (models?) and memories.

I am (willfully?) unable to either confirm or deny your assertion that
there is no qualitative distinction between description and
explanation.   Or more to the point, I feel a need to embrace both, to
whatever extent such is possible.   I find the distinction incredibly
useful for relating to others...  it is incredibly convenient to share a
sense of an objective reality which allows for a style of relating
through the (illusory?) shared physical (by agreement?) reality... in
fact, it is downright "convenient" to treat other people as if they have
an objective reality and their nature is immutable and more than simply
"my interpretation" of the various sensory inputs that impinge on me
"from" their behaviour.

On the other hand, of course, I understand both practically and
philosophically that for everything I think I *know* to be "true", that
there is at the very least a fuzzy haze - a distribution of alternative
explanations for my perceptions.  I also recognize that the models (or
metaphors) I live by are inherited from A) my physiology (ala Lakoff and
Nunez) and B) my cultural embedding (nuclear family, regional
distinctions, ethnosocial subcultural embedding, etc.   I feel blessed
to be somewhat aware of this "duality" (in a different sense than we
have bandied about here methinks?) through a lot of my life... and
therefore am like the Red Queen, able and willing to "think six
impossible thoughts before breakfast", and yet apparently/conveniently
able to proceed as if there were a (shared with others) objective reality.

But (BUT) what I think I find disturbing about the truism (oupsie!) that
"everything is interpretation" is so often used as the sophists entree
into a manipulation, into a switcharoo where the "everything is
interpretation" suddenly becomes "let me give you my interpretation in a
compelling way that has you acting as if it is somehow 'more true' than
the one you started with".   My oldest friend by most measures carried
this acutely as a young man...   always pretty sure of the things he
thought he believed in as if he had strong evidence for believing them
(and denying other's beliefs) but when confronted with fairly damning
evidence against his pet-ideas had the pat phrase "you never know!"
which he could never muster nor allow when *others* had pet-beliefs that
opposed his.   I last saw him in person after his wife (also a friend
from HS) died and I went to the funeral... his young-adult daughter (who
I had not seen since she was a baby) referred to him (fondly?) as her
"fox news-father" because A) anything you might have an idea or opinion
about he had an answer to which had the tone and in fact likely specific
scripting straight from Fox-News; and B) he never turned off his TV...
and it was tuned *only* to Fox-News... as if leaving it running when he
was gone made what they spewed "more true" or making sure he didn't
forget to turn it on when he got home again, or ????    Granted, I have
plenty of friends who act vaguely the same way with PBS/NPR and in fact
have a whole cohort of very liberal/progressive *younger* friends who
are all but literally *allergic* to NPR/PBS because *their parents*
(from my cohort) ran it 24/7 during their upbringing.

Regarding the "wit to re-weave"... my elderdotter weaned herself off
smoking through knitting which became a near compulsion... it was
something she could do with her hands whilst reading technical papers on
her kindle.. she became (as her personal blog is titled) a "yarn
harlot", but at one point she realized that no matter how many skeins of
yarn she bought (at the store, or yard sales), there was no such thing
as "enough" yet she also had "too much".   To curb that ,she began a new
obsession, that of finding high quality, but often mildly stained or
damaged wool sweaters at the thrift store and un-ravelling/re-knitting
them, sometimes with bits of "new" yarn for color/accent...   I very
much appreciate when someone (Glen is also prone to this) backs up,
unravels (or simply picks up the unraveled bits available) and re-ravels
a tapestry for us that includes (some if not all of) the elements from
the original(s).

Sappy Solstice!

 - Steve