[FRIAM] Abduction

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 2 14:33:45 EST 2019

Hmmm!

Of course I take drugs.  I'm a diabetic for god's sake.  Every day I pump myself full of artificial insulin and the preservative that keeps if fresh, "l-creosotin", a form of formaldehyde, I assume.  And you are absolutely right, I don't look for some peak experience every time my insulin pump turns over.  I just want to get along.  I suspect that the only Dionysian diabetics are dead diabetics.  So is THAT the spirit in which people take psilocybin?  Is that the spirit in which people welcome the legalization of LSD?  I fear I may have wronged them horribly.  To be so far from a moderately happy life to want to derange one's entire experience for even only a few hours, seems like  a terrible thing to me.  I regard sanity as an achievement, not a state of affairs into which life naturally folds.  I would no more take LSD than crumple up a piece of paper before I put it in the printer.

I agree with Marcus, by the way, despite my obstructive answer, that we are dealing with a dimension here, not a dichotomy.  But I do think we differ in the degree to which organize our life around the high points, rather than the mid points.  And while Dave may be correct that any kind of a admission of pleasure into the equasion is technically Dionysian, I think for all practical purposes, taking pleasure in apollonian virtues of restrain, careful planning, avoidance of extremes, etc. is as Apollonian as it gets.  He is correct that  I am a hedonist to that extent..
Nick
Nicholas S. Thompson