[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jan 10 11:28:04 EST 2019

Dave -

This contribution (Adam's "Win Bigly") and Roger's offering of the John
Boehner (apparent?) endorsement of the American Cannabis Summit helps to
remind me of the underlying struggle I am having with some of the
conversation here, and most of what passes for public conversation at
large (in and out of the media).

Donald is pretty clear, for example, that even when he is claiming moral
high-ground, that his primary (singular?) goal is to WIN.   While I've
only read summaries and reviews of Adam's "Bigly", I sense that his
topic is truly (and singularly?) about being persuasive (aka Winning?),
up to and including hypnotism (or NLP techniques?).

The American Cannabis Summit video Roger linked suggests that there is
"wealth" to be had by jumping on the Cannabis bandwagon, comparing it to
Tobacco, among other things.   The message seems to equate "wealth" with
"leverage over others"...  without much more than a passing nod to the
actual enrichment of lives (individually and collectively).   Without
debating whether the widespread legalization and commercialization of
Cannabis implies/supports some "greater good"

I happen to be reading Rebecca Solnit's "A Paradise Built in Hell" which
is a deep dive into the theme of how people (sometimes) show their best
while suffering great disasters. Particularly in the area of community
spirit and synergistic cooperation.  She anecdotally and analytically
reviews disasters from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake to Katrina,
focusing *mostly* on the positive examples of people stepping up
individually and collectively to show demonstrate/discover their "best
selves".   In this, she speaks of the tension between "Seeking a better
life" and "Seeking a better world".   It is suggested that in the face
of disaster, the latter is evidently the most efficient route to the
former, and on the whole, the behaviour of individuals in those contexts
suggests that such is self-evident.   She acknowledges that there are
plenty of opportunists who *do not* apprehend that their "best
interests" are supported by cooperation, but instead notice that the
fragility of their context allows them to "exploit" that fragility, and
in fact seem convinced that it is not only an opportunity but an
unction.   In their zero (or negative) sum model, the only way to get
what they need is to take it (or hoard it) from someone else, and
*sharing* is deeply suspect at best and

ON the topic of "persuasion" vs "ethics", one of Adam's reviewers
reflected: "But, when I was in school, we always discussed ethical
responsibility of the persuader and Adams does not. As long as Trump was
persuasive he was going to win and that’s what matters."   I suppose
this is the tension I often experience... between that which is
"efficacioius" in a (deliberately?) limited context, and that which has
a larger context and is nominally discussed in terms of ethical and
moral frameworks.

I was raised in various cultures of "rugged individualism" which biases
me toward what I perceive to be a *natural/instinctual* state of "me
first".   I would claim that *fortunately*, I grew (over many decades
now) into an awareness that while that might be the default position to
retreat to when all available strategies for a larger collective
(family, neighborhood, tribe, etc.) seem hopeless or negative, that
those collectives are a deeply adaptive aspect of life's evolution.
Many organisms are capable of living in relative isolation from members
of their own group, but do seem to thrive in groups of their own type
but also enhanced by modest diversity (forests, savannahs, blooms, pods,
hives,  tribes, schools, flocks, etc.).

I'm rambling/rattling on (as usual) here, but I'd like to hear your
(DaveW) perspective on this topic, since you have spoken fairly directly
to the ideals of individualism.

What is the case (from your perspective) to the complement to rabid
individualism?   Does the individualists bogeymen of collectivism or in
the (relative) extreme Globalism have *any* redeeming qualities, or is
the very idea of participating in larger and larger collectives
(hierarchical or heterarchical) completely antithetical to the survival
and enrichment of the individual?

- SteveS