[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Thu Jan 10 16:05:52 EST 2019

An article on this that found enjoyable was the following:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/why-the-russian-influence-campaign-remains-so-hard-to-understand

There are a key set of areas, where I often think the bulk of the commentariat go off on tangents and distractions, and Masha sees clearly the point and can cut to it without difficulty.

The importance of noise qua noise in the predatory behavior patterns of opportunistic con-men seems to me an important observation.  It’s not changing a language; it’s not even a coordinated effort to “destroy” a language, quite.  It is just throwing up clouds of chaff so they can dart about and steal stuff under cover.

She did another interview with Gary Kasparov that I also liked:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/garry-kasparov-says-we-are-living-in-chaos-but-remains-an-incorrigible-optimist

he being another who says things I haven’t heard before and endlessly repeated.  He comments that dictators are all in key respects opportunists.  I also love his characterization of the core message of Putin:  We are shit. You are shit. It’s all bullshit.  What democracy?”  That observation works well together with the former observation about the role of noise.

Eric