[FRIAM] Fwd: [NICAR-L] AP/Johns Hopkins COVID-19 data

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:21:41 EDT 2020

Friammers,

Jim Girard and I have been having a conversation about the period between the bent curve and the vaccine.  His responses have been fascinating, but in some particulars, are more technical than this old rejected English major can parse.  I therefore wanted you all to get the benefit of them and, perhaps, explain them to me.  Jim gave me permission to forward the correspondence to you.

So right now I have contact with 5 other people, my “pod”.  (Think whales)   I walk a mile or so a day in the neighborhood, designating one “clean” hand (for adjusting my glasses, etc.) and one “dirty” hand for touching anything outside my own person, on those rare occasions that I have to.  I scrub both hands when I get back.  I go once to the store a week (at most).  I put on a parka, hood, glasses, face mask, wear gloves, and I carry alcohol with me for rubbing down any surface I touch and sterilizing the gloves afterwards.  I back off from any encounter with a human being closer from 6 feet.  Assume that all members of my pod follow these same rules.  Which of these rules do you see us relaxing after the bent curve?

I went to the SouthWest airlines website to see what comfort they might offer me for flying back to MA for the summer.  Lots of talk of bottles of purel on every counter and in every waiting area.  Apparently, some procedures have been altered concerning the verification of documents at check in to minimize actual exchange of physical objects.  No  snack service. They make a big deal about how they hose down the airplanes every night, but there is no attempt to screen passengers either at checkin or at boarding.  Is this sufficient?  Are flight attendants getting sick?  Does anybody know?

Any way.  Sorry to run on.  Look at what Jim has to say, and help me to understand it.

NIck

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/