[FRIAM] Judea Pearl: Book of Why

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sun Apr 19 16:03:00 EDT 2020

"I think it would be wise to watch the evolution of the virus over time within people and across people"Scientists do this already, and they found out for instance that most NY cases came from Europe, not from China directly. Carl Zimmer reported about it in the NY Times. This is the article Donald misunderstood...https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/science/new-york-coronavirus-cases-europe-genomes.html..so that Carl had to correct himhttps://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1249132628755787782-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Marcus Daniels <marcus at snoutfarm.com> Date: 4/19/20  21:50  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Judea Pearl: Book of Why

Roger directs us to the story about Biohub:

< It was also different, in an important way. The commercial labs are set up to take in the samples and spit out a simple answer: positive or negative. They aren’t set up, as the Biohub is, to sequence the genome of every positive specimen
 and look for variations among them. As it moves through the population, the virus replicates and, as DeRisi says, “every time you replicate something there is a chance of an error.” He’s already found tiny differences from one coronavirus genome to the next
 — not so great that it changes the essential nature of the virus but noticeable nevertheless.  >

I think it would be wise to watch the evolution of the virus over time within people and across people.   I’ve heard experts argue it is slowly mutating, but I’ve personally seen deep sequence data (just from Genbank) reveal other variants.
  The stakes are high enough that shortcuts seem like a bad idea to me.  And the technology exists to do the deep sequencing.   That’s good point IMO about how Quest and LabCorp are designed to do positive/negative tests.  Imagine the disaster that happens
 if the tests become fragile, like the CDC tests were..

Marcus