[FRIAM] whackadoodles go mainstream!

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 21 12:34:35 EDT 2020

Two naive questions.

1) Diseases mutate/evolve immunity or resistance to antibiotics, or so I believe i have been told. And I think this discussion notes that Covid evolves in response to pressures originating in the host. And I have read articles talking about genetic difference among hosts as partially responsible for the variance in severity of the disease. Is there a way to build some kind of "co-evolutionary" model — virus adapting to host / host adapting to virus — that would predict a stable minima? or is this whatis meant by "herd immunity?"

2) Supposedly (two articles, one in JAMA), 80% of COVID transmissions occur in homes, including nursing homes, and 34% occur in public transit, and near zero transmissions outside. (I know the numbers do not equal 100, but I think that is an artifact of being summarized.) Again supposedly, the only outbreaks from all the panned spring break activity were attributed to the public transport (airplanes) transmission, not to beach/party activity. Would it not be possible determine some kind of "person-density metric" — humans per cubic volume — that could be used as a basis for reopening stores, restaurants, etc. etc.

davew