[FRIAM] OK. That's funny.

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Aug 4 23:24:29 EDT 2020

Glen -

All video-game/bobblehead tangents aside, this was a fascinating
complementary pair of links.

I didn't fully verify your Bulwark link, but my first impulse was to
think it was an Onion <https://www.theonion.com/> or Borowitz
<https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report> article.  Fascinating
that absurd things like this can go right past us in the torrent of
nonsense that this administration has brought to us.  Lost in the
cacophany of dog-whistles, as it were?

Interesting juxtaposition of Trump, Seagal, Depardieu (/Zherar
Depardyo!) /and Snowden...    among other things, both Seagal and
Depardieu's movies have been put on a banned list in Ukraine
<https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/02/19/ukraine-bans-movies-starring-zelenskiy-seagal-depardieu-over-national-security-a69342>,
and I'd guess Trump is not a very welcome person there either.   I don't
know what they feel about Snowden... he's more likely to be a hero than
antihero there, in spite Russia being his bolt-hole location?
<https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/02/19/ukraine-bans-movies-starring-zelenskiy-seagal-depardieu-over-national-security-a69342>

These links remind me of several of the other frayed threads here...
you referenced yet another previous thread discussing "means of
production" and whether I acquiesced openly to your grumbling about that
at the time, it did set me on a different tangent internally.

It also juxtaposes with the various lines of discussion around
self-organization and hierarchical systems.   Many of us think first of
political power structures when we think hierarchy.   To the extent that
these systems maintain their own coherence through a certain amount of
top-down control (i.e. exercise of authority) we tend to associate
hierarchies as "top-down" systems, but I think that is somewhat of an
illusion, or an edge case among the many examples of hierarchy in
self-organized systems.

Heterarchy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterarchy> and holarchy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holarchy> come to mind, as does the
generic poset <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partially_ordered_set>.

Snowden's rhetoric, which I generally approve/agree-with, includes an
"othering" of  gub'mint and corporations that doesn't seem to overtly
take into account that both of these are self-organized, emergent
structures, even if from an oft-individual point of view they seem
antithetical to the good of the individual.

mumble,

 - Steve