[FRIAM] OK. That's funny.

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Aug 5 11:24:51 EDT 2020

Frank -

Heinlein was up there with the likes of Clark and Asimov, leading the
Science Fiction community out of the Golden Age into the Modern Age in
the 50's and 60's and beyond.   He also coined the term "Speculative
Fiction" to try to distinguish hard, science-based
speculation/extrapolatin in fiction from the all-too-common loosey
goosey style of the Golden Age.   He also pioneered injecting
contemporary social issues into science fiction, specifically with
Stranger in a Strange Land.   I'm not surprised if you don't recognize
his later works (e.g. Number of the Beast 1980), but I'd have thunk that
if you read Science Fiction at all Heinlein would be a very familiar name.

I have not read "La Biblioteca de Babel" in Spanish, but I have read the
translation... given the theme, I'm curious how many languages it has
been translated into.  Give it a whirl if you might?

It would appear that someone has built a "virtual" Biblioteca de Babel
online...    I have not explored it in any way.   I suppose there are
analyses somewhere of the signal/noise ratio which must be diminishingly
low, as it would seem most/many of the universii to be explored by
Heinlein's protaganists.   With the Looking Glass/Rabbit Hole side of
the multiverse verging itself on madness to anyone who might visit?

https://libraryofbabel.info/

- Steve