[FRIAM] curiosities ...

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:08:44 EDT 2020

OK. That makes sense. It's possible I simply can't see far/deep enough to get past the *extant* right wing extremism I see all around the world, including federal troops on the streets of Olympia to kidnap "woke" protesters as well as what's happening in Poland, Turkey, Russia, etc. It's possible that this real and current right wing violence is the last throes of whatever power the right wingers might wield.

I doubt that. But it's possible.

And given that, turning back to "woke" vs. "leftist" for a minute, that your (radical) affect at a university would no longer be tolerated *might* be a sign of some sort of cultural homogeny ... a whack-a-mole game where the nail sticking up gets hammered back down. And if that turns out to be true, I'm definitely on your side. But I don't think it's true. The evidence I see argues for the death of the university, not any kind of "woke tyranny". All over the map, schools have been suffering. The virus has accelerated it. Brilliant youngsters are rejecting college for a whole constellation of reasons. But re: your personal affect, have you considered Heterodox? https://heterodoxacademy.org/ They seem affine to your sentiments.

As for "woke" people in other contexts, it seems like you're objecting to a symptom of population density more than anything else. As people squeeze together, we need appropriate social norms ... norms that reduce and avoid the flare ups that come from our slowly evolving biology bathed in rapidly evolving culture. E.g. Renee' argues that, despite my belief we should "grow up, not out", she and I couldn't live in an apartment/condo for the last 20 or so years because we play our music too loud, too often ... our neighbors' biology would flare up and they'd find ways to remove us. So we live in a house where our neighbors can escape the nuisance that is us with pillows and such. You (like us) have been privileged to live in sparsely populated places, where your *behavior* can be largely tolerated.

If you simply follow the sparsely populated regions as they shrink, you'll be fine. But if you want to "grow up, not out", which is necessary for most of us if we want a healthy planet without severe population control, then you'll have to *conform*. Line from a country song: "If a man can't piss in his own front yard, he lives too close to town." This isn't tyranny. It's density. It's social intelligence. Context is Queen. Know where you are and know what you can get away with given your context. The days of stomping around saying whatever the hell we want, doing whatever we want, killing others because they cheat at cards, etc. ... those days are over. You can either adapt or spend the rest of your life isolated and frustrated.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ