[FRIAM] curiosities ...

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 5 18:42:48 EDT 2020

Glen,

A round about way to address your blown mind about my — apparent — lack of concern about the threat from the right.

Although I try very hard to avoid it, my views at the general are inevitably colored by my experiences at the personal.

I (quite literally) took up arms against the government fifty years ago. My reasons then, and my continuing perspective, has consequences. Two contrasting examples: 1) empathy for others who feel that the feds are an oppressive and unreasonable force in their lives and may have seen Trump as a countervailing force; 2) antipathy  with regard current protests/protesters who are, ultimately and in my studied opinion, advocating changes that would enhance and increase governmental control.

My first ten years as an academic, obtaining tenure and the rank of full professor, was at a very conservative Catholic university. It was not my day job (which was graduate software development) but I taught undergraduate cultural anthropology there for six years. That course in particular, but other opportunities to teach inter-disciplinary honors courses, afforded an opportunity to "offend" my colleagues and the prevailing Catholic orthodoxy on  a regular basis. I did not shy from those opportunities. My publications, my syllabi, my public comments aroused the ire of many colleagues, but I was never threatened, was never concerned with regard my job or my professional status.  In contrast, I could not teach the exact same material today in almost any public university without being crucified and fired. The facts did not change, but the prevailing orthodoxy did.

I used to worry — a lot — about the possibility of a theocracy arising in the US. Trump pretty much destroyed that possibility by 1) wresting control of the Republican party from the religious-right; and 2) exposing the idiocy and hypocrisy of the "religious" in a way from which they will, IMO, never recover.

Now I worry about a politically correct secular-ocracy that makes the government — *_necessarily_* *representing a minority of the populace* — the ultimate arbitrator of thought and behavior for all.

So, I am not concerned about the "right" because I see them as an already defeated non-entity; cowards and isolationists, with no possibility of obtaining the power, discipline, or will necessary to impose themselves on me. I fear the exact opposite with regard the "left."

If Biden is elected in the fall, the armed crazies that everyone seems to be so concerned about will melt away to their remote enclaves and inbred sanctuaries and nothing much else will happen. "*Trump as existential threat to democracy"* will fade away as just another collective hysteria like "stranger danger" and recovered memories of satanic child abuse cults.

Personally I will feel increasingly oppressed and controlled by a government (mostly an enabled bureaucracy) that I abhor.

If Trump wins (still a probability in my mind) I believe we will see armed insurrection and violence in the streets. This will be suppressed by inauguration day and we will have four years of weekly impeachment trials and daily Supreme Court cases while COVID and economic decline quietly decimates the population.

davew

End note: When Humphrey was defeated he took a position as professor at Macalester, where I was a student, until he could run for and win his Senate seat again. I organized a beautiful May Day, Maoist "Save the Children," protest blocking his office with barbed wire barricades.  Lots of local media attention but the only "accolades" I received were from right wing crazies who hated Humphrey as a liberal, not as a enabler of continuation in Vietnam.