[FRIAM] Curmudgeons Unite!

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 05:31:41 EDT 2020

The only plausible answer to this is the acceptance of a satisficing rule, a tolerance for error/uncertainty. That's what allows us to trust the USPS, which is simultaneously cursed by individuals on a regular basis, yet one of the most trusted institutions in place. All this election integrity hooha centers around quantitative confidence and perfection.

But our first past the post system consistently tightens up our *intolerance* for uncertainty/error. That's the change that needs to be made first. As long as our elections are winner-takes-all and based on 50/50 thresholds, technology can't help us. Technology will simply kick the can down the road, leaving the main problem unaddressed. I.e. your billion dollar projects will largely be a waste of money, perhaps resulting in a Star Wars quality spinoff machine, but not solving the targeted objective.

The first actionable steps are being taken. Ranked choice voting is steadily being adopted. It's also *not* a panacea. But at least it targets the disease, rather than the symptoms.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ