[FRIAM] words for Nick (political-words focused)

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Aug 24 11:24:47 EDT 2020

Sushi lovers -

I've never been able to develop (nor really understand) the eating of
fish/seafood.

I grew up completely landlocked in the Rocky Mountains where it was at
the very least a significant excursion to get to a *small* lake where
there *might be* a few trout stocked.  The process of removing them from
said waters by a hook through their lip, killing them (or more often
letting them suffocate to death), and removing the unpalatable parts did
not make me want to eat them more, only less.   The very rare occasion
my mother fixed us frozen/breaded/tartared "fish sticks" were pretty
neutral for me.  I think I knew the connection but the preparation
style/process was pretty good at obscuring the source, including the
"fishy taste".

By the time I was in my mid teens I was developing an idealism that
suggested strongly to me that I should probably not eat anything that I
wasn't willing to capture, kill, clean, butcher, prepare.   This lead me
to a *mostly* vegetarian diet well into my 30s (to which I have
returned).   It also lead me to watch with puzzlement as many of my
peers enjoyed their meat/fowl/fish dishes while being at least "queasy"
when confronted with their sources.   Crab and Lobster being a few of
the more disturbing examples...  when the very same diners would
probably recoil or at least cringe if they were approached by a spider
or any insect larger than a speck.   I have "forced" myself to eat a
variety of foods in the spirit of Dave's "Anthropologist" posture, but
generally have not found a particular *taste for* any of them, in
particular seafood and insects.

When my older daughter graduated from her undergrad in Santa Cruz, CA, I
hosted a dinner for her at her chosen restaurant.   Surprise!  It was a
seafood restaurant and the entire contingent of 20-30 friends and family
were excited.   Few if any were used to getting "good, fresh seafood".
In the spirit of supporting my daughter and the other guests, I allowed
many of them to offer me their favorite delicacy... "MmmmmMMMMM!" they
would say and I would take a bite and say "hmmmmm???...." I have no idea
what all I tasted that night.   I have a pretty good ability to abstract
myself from visceral things when I need/choose to, so I *can* look a
king crab in the eyestalk while I suck the flesh from his antennae, but
that doesn't mean I *enjoy* it.   A few hours later, after returning to
the friends home we were staying with, I began to violently and
involuntarily empty my entire GI tract of everything I'd eaten through
every available orifice.   This continued for roughly 2 days.   My best
guess is that I, in fact, am allergic to *some* type of seafood, and was
left with the belief that said allergy may well be part of what informs
my lack of interest and/or distaste for "fishy" flavors.   I've
continued to sample "this and that" since then, but much more
carefully.   The most famous of seafood allergies, I believe, includes
scallops which I distinctly remember at least one person thrusting into
my mouth and telling me how much I would "enjoy" them....
"MMMMMMMmmMMM!".  I didn't notice them to go down one way or the other
(tasty or repugnant) beyond my over-arching distate for "things that
taste fishy", which *everything* did that evening.  I have declined
"MMMMMmmMMMMMmmm!" scallops a few times since then...

I have a small outdoor pond which I sometimes have to (re)stock with
goldfish.   Their role is primarily mosquito (larvae) control.   When I
go to the pet store, I buy their "feeder fish" stocked to feed other
animals, paying $.15-$.30 each.  I'm not sure what pets eat these fish
(bigger fish?  frogs?  turtles?  snakes?)...   the aquarium person
and/or the clerk almost always asks me "what do you feed these to?"
which often elicits a smart-ass-coy response of "my old Fraternity is
getting together for a reunion"... to which I relent after a second of
their "shock" and say... "I feed these to raccoons"...  and then relent
with   ... "they eat mosquito larva in my outdoor pool, and over time,
the raccoons often visit and fish them out".

If I were in a situation where fish-protein was the most obvious source
of food,  I am sure I could come to appreciate it... but I don't imagine
I will ever find pleasure in eating raw fish nor live fish in what I'd
call "normal circumstances".   More power to all you sushi lovers, even
those landlocked 1000 miles from the source? 'mmmmMMMmmmmm!!!!".

- Steve