[FRIAM] Please change the damned thread

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:44:50 EST 2020

This is not about lumbago but may not be of general interest.  Please read
a little and then stop if it is not a topic that you care about.

I feel like writing a little about the history of my friendship with Nick
year of my studies in the PhD program in psychology at Carnegie Mellon I
took a course in cognitive processes.  One of the themes of that course was
the failure of behaviorism.  That approach was described to us as an early
20th century effort to explain all behavior in terms of learning and that
the result was a realization that that was not possible.  After a  year I
became frustrated with the uncertainties and ambiguitied of psychology and
I left that program and went into a PhD program in math and computer
science.

When I met Nick he told me he was a radical behaviorist I asked him what he
meant by that.  And my recollection is that he said that he thought that
people don't have minds or consciousness and that they infer their feelings
and beliefs from their behavior.  I found this to be anathema because to me
my consciousness is the first thing I know and the only thing I know with
certainty.  Nick said aha you're a Cartesian in a way that implied that he
could dismiss my ideas on topic of consciousness for example. After
extensive arguments my interpretation is that we gave up on the topic.

We played many games of chess got together with our wives and friends and
generally had an enjoyable friendship.  We cooperated on the Santa Fe
Complex project and we both attended friam reliably and for many years. I
attended a seminar that he organized in which we focused on the book
Feelings by James Laird, a colleague of Nick's at Clark University.  That
book argues that we know our feelings by observing our own behavior a
position that I found odd but I read the book. I usually gave Nick a ride
to St John's every Friday morning which gave us an opportunity to visit
privately before joining the meeting.

Before the alleged abuse Nick had told me that he had a negative covid test
and was waiting the results of the more rigorous test.  He then mentioned
Bonnet's Syndrome and I wondered how a person who doesn't believe in mind
explains hallucinations so I asked him.  I knew he had been feeling badly
but he did not say that he was suffering from Covid-19 nor from Bonnet's
Syndrome.  Maybe the latter was implicit in his raising the topic.  If so,
I apologize again.

Nick my remember some of the events I describe differently.

Frank

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,