[FRIAM] A longer response to Dave's question

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 21 05:04:43 EST 2020

Blending the "question" thread into this one,

I promise: no more kidney punches and no more crocodile tears.

>From the other thread: "4- If we had a "consensus" enumeration of plausible effects does our "conception of the object" have any relation to the ontology of the object? **[NST===>] I don’t think so. Increasing the number of people who think that “unicorn” means “a horse with a narwhale horn on his forehead” has no implications for the existence or non existence of unicorns."**

This is why I said that Peirce, et. al. cannot tell us that Trump is, let alone that Trump is a y.

Now to this thread —

Despite what Peirce may have said, (and a book on the history of chemistry I remember you were reading` a year or so back), Chemistry did not evolve from Alchemy. I am being pedantic here, because when I used alchemy in my narrative, I meant the real thing not the pseudo-alchemists playing with mercury and promising gold. Psychology (Jung and to a lesser degree Freud) derives more from Alchemy than chemistry. Newton was an alchemist but don't think it influenced his physics, and don't know how it influenced other aspects of his scientific endeavors.

But the point I was trying to make: it is impossible to use Peirce's 'method' to advance my quest because that method precludes\dismisses the subject matter of interest.

I need to be clearer about my subject matter as well. It is not drug experience, or even mystical experience, although both are significant aspects.

Consider: Descartes' analytic geometry was conceived while sleeping in an oven and then rigorously explained after the fact; 2) Kekule "discovered' the structure of the benzene ring via a "vision" of Ouroboros — and a whole lot of organic chemistry with "visions" of dancing atoms forming chains; Jung's psychology and therapeutic method was significantly grounded "visions" and "dreams;" etc.

What kind of vocabulary can we apply to the substance/essence of altered-states-of-consciousness experiences? Metaphor certainly, but "concept," "idea," or even "knowledge?" is it possible to develop a philosophy, an epistemology, that would be inclusive of "experience" beyond the mundane sort addressed by science, or by Peirce's method?

Peirce, like all scientists, seems content to tackle only the easiest cases, and therefore is not likely to be a helpful guide.

[ I deleted an attempt to apply "close reading" to a body of sentences and the egregious interpretations of those sentences — attempting an analog of the scientific evaluation of blood and wine — to see if it might be possible to have a reasoned/rational discussion of current politics. Decided it was pointless to try. ]

davew