[FRIAM] Important New Climate Study

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Wed Jan 8 02:23:39 EST 2020

Thank you Merle, I do appreciate your reply.

I followed the link and it found that it is a comment on the ultimate UN
source document
https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/30797/EGR2019.pdf. I
don’t think the report says anything at all in the context of the argument
I’m making. The report implicitly assumes the acceptance of the generally
accepted view that the current level of greenhouse gas emissions will
result in harmful increases in global temperatures. Now what does the
physical science in the IPCC actually reports say about this?

The latest IPCC report that evaluates the basic science is “AR5”, finalized
in 2014, AR6 is scheduled for 2022. I quote from AR5: “The equilibrium
climate sensitivity quantifies the response of the climate system to
constant radiative forcing on mult-century time scales. It is defined as
the change in global mean surface temperature at equilibrium that is caused
by a doubling of the atmospheric CO2 concentration, Equilibrium climate
sensitivity is likely in the range 1.5 degC to 4.5 degC (high confidence)”

Now I’m an engineer who has done extensive work in modelling. (Granted,
zero work on climate models. But I do claim professional experience in
mathematical modeling of physical systems.) I always try to validate the
models - seeking empirical evidence to support the models. I’ve done
research to try to find empirical evidence that validates the IPCC quoted
climate models. The best I could find is from the published paper I
referred to  above that found empirical evidence for the climate
sensitivity close to the lower range of the IPCC reports. (
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0667.1.)

So, I don’t find anything in your link the refutes the following:
a) The latest IPCC published information is that the models indicate that
doubling of CO2 causes temperatures to increase in the range of between 1.5
to 4.5 degC.
b) The best published empirical (as opposed to modelling) evidence is that
this figure is likely to be close to 1.5 If this value is true, we have no
reason to be concerned about fossil fuels causing global warming.

What do I miss?