[FRIAM] Trumps motives not judiciable because they are "in his head"

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 12:29:00 EST 2020

I've been stewing in my own juices regarding the previous mentions of "puritanism" and my commitment to reductionism-resistance. It started awhile back when a friend forced me to read Michael Heumer's  "The Problem of Political Authority", which was less interesting than his "Ethical Intuitionism", FWIW. In a bout of insomnia the other night, I ran across Bryan Caplin's post:

  "Catholic" vs "Protestant" Ethics
  https://www.econlib.org/archives/2012/04/catholic_versus.html

which (if you follow some of his other posts) seems to rely on a tendency to *reduction*. While reading all this hooha, I was reminded of mathematical intuitionism and finitism in response to transfinite numbers, as well as the objections to things like proof by contradiction.

I've avoided having any significant conversations with any right-leaning people, including those who believe we can "innovate" our way out of the climate crisis, precisely because of the sense that their positions are presented in "bad faith". And this morning, I ran across this rant:

  Resist false hope: America under Trump is in big trouble, and there's no going back
  https://www.salon.com/2020/01/31/resist-false-hope-america-under-trump-is-in-big-trouble-and-theres-no-going-back/

which distinguishes between "hope peddler" and "hope warrior", which seems a little silly to me (in the same way I didn't "fight" my cancer - metaphor run amok). But I like the appeal to action, the idea that *action* has meaning (as opposed to refreshing one's phone/browser/etc).

But there's an issue churning underneath all this that I think appeals to anyone exposed to "complex systems", where apparent complexity arises from a reduced rule set. As Pieter forced us to consider by presenting this group: <https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B8rn_Lomborg#Copenhagen_Consensus_Project>, which do we choose? The catholic or Protestant approach? Complexity people would, arguably, choose the puritanical reduction to a *small* set of actionable targets, whereas it's also arguable that a more catholic approach (allowing anyone to work on whatever problem they found motivating) allows diversity [†].

And a subsequent question, after asking which approach to choose, is: How outraged should I be when talking with someone who does *not* choose the same approach I choose? And, similarly, how outraged should a puritan who reduces to climate crisis be with a puritan who reduces to the rise of fascism?

[†] Just a note to say that I don't argue for diversity for diversity's sake. But reductionism faces a problem in constructing seemingly open-ended systems, as the ALife sessions on OEE have shown, I think. Diversity seems, to me, to be a hallmark property of open systems. Catholic approaches to action are agnostic about the sources of diversity whereas puritan approaches are obliged to explain them.

--
☣ uǝlƃ