[FRIAM] Dear Eric and Bret

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:18:07 EDT 2020

Jochen,

I have attached my draft letter to the Weinstein brothers.

Elderly as this lists is, I think there are only a few people  on it old
enough to have ever entertained the dream of the Jimmy Stewart
Professorship.  Do you know that once upon a time there was a culture of
ambivalence around getting money for research?   Most of the would-be
academics on this list have encountered a much harsher reality.  And now,
among the Barista's of Santa Fe, I regularly encounter young people whom I
would gladly accept as my colleagues at any university, yet who will never
get the chance.

It's just so f***ing sad.

Nick