[FRIAM] Pause the Show

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jun 2 19:54:21 EDT 2020

On 6/2/20 11:59 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

>   Compare a controversy over some loose change with the armed takeover
>   of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, a federal facility.  There
>   is clearly a double standard.    If brown or black men had done that
>   there would have been a Predator strike.

And don't forget the Red WoMen...   we've been doing strikes on them
since 1492.   The Orbis Spike
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mass-deaths-in-americas-start-new-co2-epoch/https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mass-deaths-in-americas-start-new-co2-epoch/>
might have been (mostly) unintentional but the results were devastating.

Some will call this "liberal self-hatred" or "identity politics" but I'm
happy to see those who have been categorically
abused/neglected/dismissed standing up for themselves and those of us
who have not-so-much standing up with them.

The difference between these "protests" even when they look more like
"rioting, looting, and vandalism" is that I see a LOT of diversity (both
ethnicity and gender) in the crowds, no strong sense that there is any
significant threat between protesters, and almost exclusively the
violence from protesters against the LEO are  in response to the
intended intimidating show of force (often directed violence against the
protestors).  The examples from all over the country of LEO
marching/kneeling/mingling with the protestors seem exclusively
positive.  *most* protestors are not protesting against LEO himself, but
against the abuses that are systemic and the tragedies that come with
that.

I know there will be (already have been) "collateral damage" but somehow
this round feels more good/less bad than previous ones.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and soft hearted(headed).

Resume the Show,

 - Steve