[FRIAM] Pause the Show

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 3 13:14:35 EDT 2020

Glen,

I won't offer any comments or observations about black motorcycle clubs or biker bars filled with racists. I will offer "credentials" for voicing such, if anyone would be interested in them.

I have just over 200,000 lifetime miles on a motorcycle - almost all of them on Harley's (A Honda Goldwing one summer, a Yamaha 950 for a few months, and a Triumph 650 that was my off-road bike). Spent thousands of hours in biker bars. Was a pre-initiate with the Hell's Angels in Los Angles (left before being patched because they were morphing from outlaw club to criminal enterprise). Wrote an ethnographic thesis and several journal articles on the culture of outlaw clubs. Been to Sturgis many times and all of the major rallies except Daytona.

davew