[FRIAM] word of the day: "Eschatology"

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jun 6 16:50:23 EDT 2020

Nick -

> I had to look up eschatological:  Courtesy of wikipedia,
>
> Eschatology /ˌɛskəˈtɒlədʒi/
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/English>(About this sound
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:En-uk-eschatology.ogg>listen
> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/En-uk-eschatology.ogg>)
> is a part of theology <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology>
> concerned with the final events of history
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_world>, or the ultimate
> destiny <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny> of humanity. This
> concept is commonly referred to as the "end of the world
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_the_world_(civilization)>" or
> "end times <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_time>".^[1]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschatology#cite_note-1>

^Not to be confused with Ichtyology nor scatology...  (though that is
always my first impulse).

> Wow.  Glad finally, after all those years, to have that one added to
> my lexicon.  So, is this what I am accusing steve of when I accuse him
> of a “hankering”.  Is this what Glen (?) was accusing ME of when he
> (?) accused me of a belief in progress.  (Was Deweyism a form of
> eschatology?  Who would have ever thought!)  So Glen.  What does the
> word mean to you?  Does somebody who believes that history has a
> vector have thereby to be an eschatologist?  Does the fact that Peirce
> believes that there are SOME truth and that some forms of inquiry seek
> these out and sometimes find them make him an Eschatologist?  (That’s
> right, Nick, when you learn a new word, use it at least 6 times in the
> next ten sentences.  )

Maybe you and I had the same 5th Grade Teacher.?  She did me two HUGE
favors which have lasted all of my life:

1) her weekly spelling assignments included a requirement for each of us
to write a short-story using all of her spelling words (maybe 8-10?),
with no grading on anything except proper spelling of the word
(naturally) and proper usage.  Grammar, sense-making, and quality of
story were not graded, though we all enjoyed it greatly when she read
our story out loud to the class (<20 kids).   THAT honor was based on
those other qualities, but not helping/hurting our grade in spelling.

2) It was the year New Math hit our backwoods school system, and it
overwhelmed her.  For some reason, those 5th-grade-calibrated story
problems made perfect sense to me, so she often asked me to explain them
to the class.   I'm guessing my explanation saved her the
trouble/embarassment of trying but I'm not sure that my exposition for
the class did anything for any of them... they probably all just nodded
and pretended to write, hoping I would hurry up and finish my lame
attempts to make the inscrutable scrutable.  They didn't have a <delete>
nor <next> button on their mimeograph sheets...  can you still smell the
Banana-esque esters?

You can probably blame Ms. Naranjo for my penchant for "story".