[FRIAM] millenarianism

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jun 6 19:50:15 EDT 2020

Marcus -

> It’s because we were ruined.
>

> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/motivation.html

Thus Amateur

"Historically, the amateur was considered to be the ideal balance
between pure intent, open mind, and the interest or passion for a subject."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur

It feels like a conflict of interest for a "fine artist" for example to
try to make a living as a "commercial artist".... the tools, techniques,
and skills may have a lot of overlap, but I think one type of
intention/motivation/constraint interferes with the other.

In contrast on this (now bent) thread,  Marcel Duchamp stated
(authoritatively?!):

“All in all, the creative act is not performed by the artist alone; the
spectator brings the work in contact with the external world by
deciphering and interpreting its inner qualifications and thus adds his
contribution to the creative act,”

Many creatives (visual artists, writers, and more obviously performing
artists) have agreed with this...   the audience "participation" if not
"response" is key to their "completion"...  I don't know if this maps
onto "closure" in CS, but maybe.