[FRIAM] chicken-egg::gumflap-talk

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:31:02 EDT 2020

Hi, glen,

I hear your plea to address those articles, but life got a bit complex this week and I have been able to follow the discussion closely.  I did take a quick look at the two articles.  I certainly am not in a position to Steelman them.  The more I take to heart your notion of Steelmanning, the less I have to say, because I cannot oppose an argument until I put it its very best form.

Now, my method has always been to pick what seems to be the best “system” and try to extend as far as I can into the territory where it is most absurd. Thus I have drifted over the years from a quasi-Skinnerian behaviorism, through a kind of hierarchical materialism, to Peirce’s experience monism.  But, I think that your steelman approach requires me to come in from the other side.  This, you have heard me do, from time to time, as when I talk about writing as listening to dictation.  So let’s try to go with that a bit.

Under that notion, consciousness is at least dual: ie, there is a speaker and a listener and the former has influence over the latter and vv.  The writer talks back to the dictator, refusing sometimes to write what is dictated.  And once one admits of two agents of the mind, it becomes really easy to imagine others, so mental life becomes rather like reading last week’s FRIAM posts.    So, under that theory, when I say “I think”, I am like the public relations representative for large complex organization, the Kelley Conway of the mind.  Or like the writer of a Preface for a collection of Friam papers.

So, your papers give credence in that view because, while there may be many voices “inside” “the head”, there can only be one that gets control of the focal apparatus, and that must require a lot of inhibition to keep us from blithering, even more than we do. And the battle for who gets the microphone must be constant and vicious.

That, FWLIW,  is all I got today.

Nick
Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com