[FRIAM] chicken-egg::gumflap-talk

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:27:40 EDT 2020

Excellent! Both these 2 comments are useful. Nick raises composition, high to low dimensional projection, and time slicing. And Steve raises many-to-many maps and mirror neurons [†]. All of these seem relevant to understanding the extent to which we might (not) mimic others and need/want higher bandwidth and/or [a]synchronous media.

As I understand it, the Maegherman paper makes an explicit distinction between simple and complex actions so that even though their study showed no motor activity in relation to the imagery, perhaps more complex actions *would*. So, we can fold in both Nick's and Steve's comments by considering something like 1) the deadlift exercise versus 2) drawing a straight line with a pencil. The deadlift is a dangerous exercise because it's difficult to mimic what you see, whereas it's comparatively easy to *see* all the factors involved with drawing a straight line on a piece of paper (a circle, maybe not so much). Before I started lifting weights as an adult [‡], when I saw someone doing a deadlift, my self-imagery involved hands, knees, feet, and back (particularly the lower back). After lots of advice, analysis, and performance of the exercise, I now image my lats, glutes, and transferse abdominis. That change is radical compared to drawing a line with a pencil. Learning to draft, there was a shift between before and after (e.g. spinning the pencil to get a uniform fatness to the line). But the shift wasn't radical. It's relatively easy to learn to draft by watching a draftsman. It's not very easy to learn the deadlift by watching the deadlift.

I think we could make the same argument using phonemes common to various languages. E.g. is it easier to lip-read German than Spanish? Would a native English speaker be more or less likely to simulate the articulation of a German speaker since English inherits so much from German?

And to touch closer to home, just *how* irritating is it (i.e. how much heat/friction is added to a conversation) when I say Freeam instead of Fryam when rendering FriAM? ... or when Renee' says "pilla", referring to the thing we lay our head on at night? If the signal is difficult for us to simulate, how well can we possibly understand the signal being sent?

[†] I have an as-yet-unread book on my shelves "The Myth of Mirror Neurons" ... that is now rising in my queue of unread books.

[‡] Kids won't understand because they're indestructible and it almost doesn't matter how they do it. There was this kid, maybe 16, at the Y who would do his exercises and *fidget* between exercises. So irritating to those of us who are just trying not to die while we do the exercises our doctors told us we *have* to do so we can die just a tad more gracefully. Pffft. I hate kids.

--
☣ uǝlƃ