[FRIAM] alternative response

glen∉ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:39:37 EDT 2020

Hm. First, I'd propose the homunculus is tiny in scope and impact with respect to every other process. I'd even argue that it's so tiny, it doesn't (can't) transform states. Maybe it doesn't have memory at all. It might simply be a random bit flip. And the only time it would matter at all is if the rest of the system in which it's mostly enslaved sits on some fragile cusp where the bit flip matters. Maybe whatever free will we have is vanishingly small. E.g. out of 1 million people, maybe only 1 of them ever did anything of their own free will ... and it was only that one decision when they were 2 years old. Everything else is determined. Second, despite being determined, it's *lossy*, irreversible. And when we use the phrase "free will" in our everyday conversation, we're really talking about that loss, the information lost when we truncate others or others truncate us. The existence of the lossy, truncating collective doesn't preclude the existence of the tiny, tiny impact randomness.