[FRIAM] Important Article

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 00:47:56 EDT 2020

Here is an amateur summary:

Anne Applebaum attempts to explain why Republican leaders have abandoned
their longheld principles in favor of loyalty to Trump.  She makes
comparisons to Nazi collaborators in France, German Communists in East
Germany who accepted Russian Communism and authoritarian behavior even when
it was incompatible with their beliefs.

Several motives are offered using Lindsey Graham, other Republican
Senators, Mike Pompeo, William Barr and Mike Pence.  The latter two are
particularly interesting.  She thinks they are determined to protect the US
from abortion, same-sex marriage, and demographic changes as the end times
approach.

She gives examples of slippery slope phenomena such as accepting trivial
lies like greater attendance at the Trump inauguration than at the Obama
occasion.  She details how acceptance of the lies has grown to the point
where American democracy is at risk.

One detail: a high level Republican said that Graham tells people that he
talked to Trump in a way that made him think of a highschool nerd who got
attention from the school's star quarterback.

I am not doing the article justice, Russ.  I hope you can find a way to
read the entire piece.

Frank

---
Frank C. Wimberly