[FRIAM] alternative response

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jun 16 17:42:10 EDT 2020

Glen said:
> Exactly! If humans have free will, we can program a machine to have it
> too (someday, anyway). And since we don't know how to *construct* free
> will and the evidence against it is accumulating, it's reasonable to
> claim it doesn't exist and the burden is increasingly on those who
> believe in it to make their case.

It feels like we are engaging in self-negating discourse when we speak
in this way?

    "I assert there is no such thing as free will, and now I will
prove/demonstrate that and if you are not too stubborn, you too will
come to agree with me on this"

I'm not attacking Glen (or his specific phrasing above), just calling it
out as an example of what runs through the whole discussion (including
the one running in my own head and never making it to the list).