[FRIAM] Trump as a victim

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Wed Oct 7 15:56:25 EDT 2020

Well said Steve: "Trump seems to
      have nothing in his portfolio but a string of ghastly public
      failures where *he* slips out from under the crumbling building
      just in time to go on to slap a fat T on another one and start
      dismantling it from the foundation up like a hungry termite."Losing 400 Million Dollar not once but twice - first the inherited fortune of the father, then the money from the Apprentice - is a kind of accomplishment too. The only problem is that the last crumbling building could be the American democracy, which is a bit concerning. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/podcasts/the-daily/donald-trump-taxes-investigation.html-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Steve Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> Date: 10/7/20  18:10  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Trump as a victim
    glen/marcus -
    My mantra in this context is:  "we all got to be the way we are
      somehow".

    I can claim with seriousness that I *do* spend some of my empathy
      cycles, trying to grok WTF leads to a Donald Trump, and more to
      the point what leads to a Donald Trump at the head of our
      Executive Branch stumbling through his days of Fox&Friends and
      Twitter without having triggered *even more* disasters than it
      feels he has managed to exacerbate if not downright generate.   My
      *empathy* kicks in when I try to sort out the various "but by the
      grace of god there go I" reflections each time I try to imagine
      what psychological gymnastics he must have gone through at each
      stage or inflection point in his life.
     A study of his own children is probably a little easier than the
      study of him, since they are busy forming at his knee (under his
      thumb?) right now... His formation under the wing (and boot?) of
      Fred Sr. (and Roy Cohn and Roger Stone and ???) is a little
      obscured by time and a surely sqewed/muted record.   Barron is
      somewhat obscured from us, but when I do catch a glimpse of him or
      hear a happy-story about him from one of the puff journalists, I
      cringe a little whilst also wanting to imagine that he can
      magically rise up and flip the whole precedent on it's head.
      "Pull a Mowgli" or somesuch.  From the similarly thin glimpses I
      get of Melania, I don't get much sense that she is "helping" the
      situation much, though she is surely buffering better than
      Donald's mother was able to do.  She (and others) seem to like to
      observe that he is a "little Donald" which sounds rather tragic on
      the face of it.    I can't say I waste a *lot* of my energy on all
      of this, but they do make an interesting pseudo-public study in
      dysfunctional family dynamics...   filling perhaps the same niche
      of morbid fascination as the royal family provides for the
      Anglophile/Commonwealth?    I hear that Prince Harry has lost
      another title over having endorsed Biden-Harris.   I suspect
      Meghan (at least) is muttering "good riddance" to that title.

    I'm no fan of reality TV in most if not all of it's forms (I
      think I managed to get a kick out of one Ice Road Truckers and one
      Russian Guy Builds Log Cabin in Siberia episode/podcast but wasn't
      compelled to return) but I will admit to being stimulated via
      morbid fascination with the news-stream as Trump flops around in
      public like the villain in a melodrama trying to hold the stage
      for the entire last act as he dies dramatically.    Trump seems to
      have nothing in his portfolio but a string of ghastly public
      failures where *he* slips out from under the crumbling building
      just in time to go on to slap a fat T on another one and start
      dismantling it from the foundation up like a hungry termite.

    Reminds me a bit too much of that psychological thriller "Pacific
      Heights" with Michael Keaton as a psychopathic Donald-type:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Heights_(film)

    - Steve