[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 21:35:42 EST 2021

Ah.... I've been looking for something in this to latch onto!
Glen -> "The word "epiphenomenon" is loaded with expectation/intention. It
works quite well in artificial systems where we can simply assume it was
designed for a purpose. But in "natural" systems (like the hyena case), if
we use that concept, we've imputed a *model* onto the system."

Me -> We've imputed in all cases. Certainly we can assume artificial
systems were designed for a purpose, but we still don't know what that
purpose is without imputing a model onto that system. And, in both cases,
we could proceed to experiment with the system, in order to test the
predictions of the imputed model and increase our confidence that we have
imputed correctly. The ability to do these things does not distinguish
between the two types of system. There are long and respected scientific
traditions using experimental methods to gain confidence in our
understanding of why certain systems were favored by natural selection,
i.e., to determine the manner in which they help the organism better fit
its environment.

Glen continues -> I can't take that further step without a preliminary
understanding that "wild type" systems don't exhibit epiphenomena at all.
They can't, by definition. If some effect *looks* like an epiphenomenon to
you, it's because *you* imputed your model onto it. It's a clear cut case
of reification.

Me -> Well.... it might be reification in some sense, but that term usually
implies inaccuracy, which we cannot know in this case without
experimentation. Even with a system we designed ourselves, where we might
have a lot of insight into why we designed the system the way we did, we
certainly don't have perfect knowledge. All we have there is a model of our
own behavior to impute off of. Once again, this doesn't clearly
differentiate the two situations. In all of these situations it is a
mistake to uncritically reify our initial intuitions about the system's
purpose.

<echarles at american.edu>