[FRIAM] Tangled up in our own 2nd Amendment? Bleak Lives Manner?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jan 6 19:23:59 EST 2021

Glen -
> My fascination isn't morbid but focused on the opportunity to modify/eliminate the obsolete electoral college system.

I never intended to suggest that YOUR's or anyone else's but my own has
a strong morbid-fascination aspect.   This is one of my character
flaws...  while the Trumpsters are doubling down on conspiracy, I have
been doubling down on morbid fascination.  Perhaps reporting such is
un-useful.

I think your analysis here (as usual) is generally valid and hopefully
even specifically useful.  Perhaps my own morbid fascination is like
nervous hysterical laughter as a release to then (maybe) allow me to
proceed with something more useful once I've disgorged.   I do think the
dynamic range in quantitative and qualitative complexity has become very
problematic for average citizens, up to and including most of us on this
semi-rarified list of technically/intellectually inclined unto-astute.

You speak often of "compression" in a general but technical sense.  I
suppose this is a problem of the character of the lossiness in the
compression algorithm of-choice.   Bleeding Heart Liberals (is that
still a term?) and Knee Jerk Conservatives represent *different* but
maybe similar lossy compressions?   Populism seems to be the
over-arching family of  algorithms and dog-whistles and jargon are (part
of) the code book?  My direct experience with conspiracists aligns with
this...  conspiracy #22.b-1.3 (by some arcane name) from conspiracy
domain Zed (e.g. Chemtrail, Illuminati, Atlantean, Lizard-Peeps,
Anti-Vax, Anti-Flouride, Q-anon etc.) seems to invoke a reserved Lexicon
among subscribers and (un)surprisingingly those with one subscription
seem to have a whole host of parallel subscriptions.

- Steve