[FRIAM] Tangled up in our own 2nd Amendment? Bleak Lives Manner?

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:20:07 EST 2021

My fascination isn't morbid but focused on the opportunity to modify/eliminate the obsolete electoral college system. I doubt the rhetoric that "our democracy is under assault", for both this protest and when the guard was called out for the BLM protest. What's under assault is the hermeneutical complex by which our democracy works. Populists from both sides are confused about how infrastructure should and does work.

The recent refusal to charge Sheskey in the Blake shooting is a good example. Those of us who've had intimate run-ins with how "justice" works in various parts of the country won't be surprised if a DA claims his office wouldn't be able to out-argue a self-defense defense in court, especially not with the qualified immunity cops tend to have.

It's akin to the problems presented by explainable AI/ML. Where do you set the bar for algorithm complexity in relation to Joe Sixpack's ability to understand an algorithm? Should it be understandable? I have this very same problem with ranked choice voting and the security-risk-through-obfuscation of supply chain attacks and any large-scale open-source project.

This tension between understandability and efficacy is ubiquitous.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ