[FRIAM] Fallback in barbarism

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Fri Jan 8 10:59:32 EST 2021

My suggestions:

A party of the plutocracy which would not win any elections without
exploiting social differences and dog-whistle racism. The system of
primaries and the gerrymandering of congressional districts has allowed
a minority of a minority to control who gets to run for public office.

A media subculture that amplifies those grievances — Fox News and its
wannabe imitators.

Movement conservatism, an infrastructure of think tanks, journals, etc.
which is now over fifty years old, with plenty of money (Koch brothers,
Sheldon Adelson, etc), which exerts constant pressure on the elites and
provides lucrative backup employment for out-of-office conservative
politicians.

A outrage machine which favors engagement of any type, but which rewards
anger and outrageousness above all. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ofYEfewNE

In the final analysis, I can’t answer your question: I really don’t
understand how we have gotten to this point, and I don’t understand
how many politicians can look in the mirror every day.

—Barry