[FRIAM] tangent from uncanny valley

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Jan 25 11:09:08 EST 2021

There used to be a lot of talk about “junk DNA” which doesn’t do
anything, but I’ve gotten the impression (sorry, I can’t give
references) that more recently the “junk DNA” does play a role.

Also, adjacency or propinquity of genes on a chromosome affects
evolution (if I get one of the genes from a parent, I’m highly likely
to get the other also). I have no idea if it plays a role during the
life of a cell. I don’t know anything about how sexual reproduction
goes about building a new chromosome by selecting pieces from the
chromosomes of the parents, but on the face of it, changing the layout
(or in mathematical terms, the metric) could lead to omission or
duplication errors in the result.

TL;DR Be careful what you wish for.

—Barry