[FRIAM] Strawman/Steelman

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jan 28 16:22:26 EST 2021

Glen -

Thanks....   I never encountered the proposal version in the context of
Ada directly, but in the general engineering culture.

When I first realized that you were using Strawman in a very different
way than I was used to it, I definitely recognized that YOU were not
using it in an adversarial way, though I think you were often
acknowledging or proposing that others were.

I think there is a nuance to the "Strawman Proposal" that differs from
"Skeleton" in that it is deliberately detuned, possibly deliberately
flawed to leave room for others to contribute.

The difference perhaps between a pot of water on a fire with a large
nail in it and a pot of water on a fire with an onion?   The stone/nail
becomes a challenge for others to contribute substantially while the
onion carries more assumptions that might actually  suppress the
generous, collective  creativity that ensues from the parable.

Once I got past the negative/defensive response to the idea that I might
be "putting forth a strawman" I benefited quickly from the alternative
conception complementing the "proposal" version.   And as you suggest,
mostly by applying it to my own thinking/ideas and by recognizing (more
often) if I might be accidentally strawmanning someone else.

Infinite games all,

 - St3ve