[FRIAM] Strawman/Steelman

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jan 29 11:56:34 EST 2021

Glen -

In the spirit of some of our other woven threads here, I'm wondering how
practical it would be to build a natural language parser which could
apply rules such as those found in:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies#Informal_fallacies

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_bias#List_of_biases

Seems like a next obvious step after spell and then grammar checkers?

Maybe something to be applied broadly to social media?

Is it a first step toward an AI Overlord that is more like an
overzealous English Major than HAL (2001 space odyssey) or the Lawnmower
Man or SID 6.7 (Virtuosity) maybe?   I am reminded of the cautionary
tale offered in Jack Williamson's "With Folded Hands"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Folded_Hands> or "the Humanoid
Touch".   Even though I knew Jack and heard anecdotes about these
stories, I never heard the one described in this Wikipedia article...
a root source of those who fear "the Nanny State" (scare quotes
intended) perhaps?

Maybe easier to implement with Machine Learning and ubiquitous training
(details left to the reader) than something closer to a rule-based
system?  My most recent brush with Natural Language Processing is over
10 years ago and I sense things have progressed in the interim.

- Steve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases