[FRIAM] for the optimists

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jul 1 14:17:40 EDT 2021

I heard Freeman Dyson speak at LANL in the mid-late 80s, I think it was
a rehash of his "Giffords Lecture" at Aberdeen, on the topic of the
risks/hazards/weaknesses of Big Science.   I found it profound at
several levels, not least of which was the audience he was delivering it
to (Scientists almost exclusively in pursuit of and funded by Big
Science (tm) ).    Part of his technique in winning us over was to
describe an out-of-scale Soviet project that either failed or had
harsh/weird unintended (expected?) consequences, then handing us one of
our own in contrast... often equally absurd/painful.   Plowshare and the
Soviet version comes to mind.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaceful_nuclear_explosion
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaceful_nuclear_explosion>

Nuclear fracking in the 4 corners comes to mind... right here in our region.

Here is an interesting popular article on the topic of the downside of
Big Science, with a relevant Dyson quote:

    https://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/27/us/big-science-it-worth-price-periodic-look-largest-new-research-projects-heavy.html
    <https://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/27/us/big-science-it-worth-price-periodic-look-largest-new-research-projects-heavy.html>

    Dr. Freeman Dyson, a physicist at the Institute for Advanced Study
    in Princeton, said in his book, ''Infinite in All Directions,'' that
    some of the big projects take so long to build that they are
    virtually obsolete when completed.

    ''The cutting edge of science moves rapidly,'' he said. ''The bigger
    and more ambitious the missions become, the more difficult it is to
    reconcile the time scale of the missions with the time scale of
    science.''

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_in_All_Directions
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_in_All_Directions>

I have not read Dyson's "Infiinite in all Directions" but I appreciate
the gist of it as reviewed:

    The lectures were given in two series, and this book is accordingly
    divided into two parts.
    Part 1 is about life as a scientific phenomenon, about our efforts
    to understand the nature of life and its place in the universe.
    Part 2 is about ethics and politics, about the local problems
    introduced by our species into the existence of life on this
    planet.^[1]
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_in_All_Directions#cite_note-Dyson2004-1>