[FRIAM] for the optimists

Curt McNamara curtmcn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 09:54:26 EDT 2021

The transistor came out of bell labs. Perhaps a third place, neither public
nor private? An argument can be made that  deForest used similar resources
for the invention of tubes.

It is generally agreed that a lab which can explore ideas independent of
applications will produce good stuff.

Few would disagree that the interwebs and miniaturization were the
originators of our current economy. And both arose from govt programs.

The point about all the useful stuff being invented before the 50's seems
correct.

There is a related topic: does design discover what Bucky called
generalized principles? And then science codifies.

The 'tech' we need nowadays seems to be social innovations. More and cooler
stuff won't save biodiversity.

     Curt