[FRIAM] https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/04/technology/pamela-mccorduck-dead.html [eom]

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Nov 5 13:31:46 EDT 2021

I did not know Pamela well, having only met her in person once or
twice.  We did have a number of very gracious/generous off-list
exchanges after Joe died.  I am always intrigued by anyone who bothers
to engage with the harder/tech world from a humanist point of view.

I didn't know Joe at all, but in listening to a panel discussion
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iv-T-RqDfc> with Pamela a couple of
years ago, she attributed the "Reasonable Person Principle" to Joe, or
at least to him having shepherded it well while CS chair at CMU.  On a
good day, it feels as if FriAM tries to approach this.

 From Joe's Memorium at CMU
<https://csd.cmu.edu/news/memoriam-joseph-f-traub>

    "I have always admired Joe's leadership style, which was strongly
    rooted in the Reasonable Person Principle," said Shaw, the Alan J.
    Perlis University Professor of Computer Science and a National Medal
    of Technology and Innovation recipient. "He made decisions by
    building consensus, sometimes by public meetings preceded by
    position papers, sometimes by walking around and talking to people.
    He rarely, if ever, was the main public advocate for a position, but
    he rather shepherded the discussion to a reasonable outcome."

I had forgotten that Pamela published a memoir and announcing that was
(best I can tell) her last contribution to this list just over 2 years
ago...

https://press.etc.cmu.edu/index.php/product/this-could-be-important/

Mary has read  a lot of memoirs with me in the last 4-5 years...
Pamela's now goes on our list.  I only wish I'd bothered when she
announced it.

- Steve