[FRIAM] Application of robo-pigeon in ethological studies of bird flocks

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Fri Nov 12 14:56:27 EST 2021

We were in Taiwan during their first truly democratic election. The U.S. media was filled with dire predictions of imminent war. The reality was that no one in Taiwan was worried about an attack. China and Taiwan, in spite of the rhetoric, were deeply coupled economically and war would be disastrous for both sides. The only evidence the Taiwanese newspapers reported in as a result of the “tensions” was an increase in the number of prostitutes arriving in Taiwan from Macao and Hong Kong. However, we did note that a foreign tourist was arrested for taking down an election banner as a souvenir which was regarded as serious offense. I doubt things are much different now.

We also spent time in Hong Kong just before and just after it going back to China. For a while not much changed and there were restrictions that prevented mainland Chinese from entering Hong Kong. At that time, China was very dependent on Hong Kong as its economic outlet to the rest of the world and didn’t want to threaten that status. It’s very different now as China has developed many other outlets and consequently they are willing to treat Hong Kong like the rest of China.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>