[FRIAM] WAS; WAS: P Zombie Couches

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 14:19:08 EST 2021

I apologize for repeatedly bending this thread, but it keeps making me think of stuff which to me is central but to the rest of you will probably be tangential.  Take, for instance,

no matter how much physicalism can explain there will always be more.

Now physicalism is a flavor of materialism and materialism is a monism.  To my way of thinking, every monism is the same or it is corrupt (i.e., a covert dualism).  So, if you believe that the world is composed of only one stuff, it makes no difference what that stuff is.  Anytime you declare it to be a kind of stuff you invite the inference that there are other kinds of stuff, and so become at least a dualist and at worst a pluralist.  Agreed?  But imagination does not afford a conversation with out nouns, so every monism is corrupt in sofar as it trades on the intuitions generated by its name.  My solution to that problem is to call my monism an “experience” monism and immediately follow with the frantic assertion that no experience is of anything other than another experience.  Anytime we talk of experiences “of the world” we are talking nonsense.

So, for the quote above to make sense, it has to be spoken by a dualist, right?  In a monist metaphysics it’s analytically false.

Ok, but I am not done here.  If monism is “correct” (and I am not sure what that means),  then we have the E uno pluris problem.  If all experiences are of other experiences, how on earth (you’ll pardon the expression) do we ever achieve the diversity of experience that we … um … experience.

Well, it turns out that we have solved the the E uno pluris problem in another domain: embryology.  The problem for human embryology is how do we get from one cell type, the whaddyoucall it, the blastula?, for the 2-300 cell types that an adult human being possesses (not counting cancers, I would suppose).  The solution seems to be position in the fertilized egg, giving the egg a polarity from the start.  As the cells duplicate, we have the up cell and the down cell, the left cell and right cell, and the front cell and the back cell, and after a few divisions, the inside cells and the outside cells.  Each cell thus receives a diferent dosage of substances emitted by the others and these different dosages call upon different elements of the genome common to all of and so begins the differentiation into cell types.

I imagine that a similar solution will be found to the E uno pluris problem in experience.  I assume – a bit more metaphysics, I am afraid – in for a dime, in for a dollar – that no two experienes can occur at the same time, or be precisely the same, (randomness and all) and so there must always be a first followed by a second that is different, and from that a third which is of the relation between the first and the second.  And since each second can be a first or third, and each third a first or second it it’s own right, we rapidly have a network of experiences each with a position relative to the first … um … first.

This leads, I think, to the unstated question lurking here.  How is it that we can have a new experience … Is there, Horatio, anything new under the sun?  The answer is. Sort of.  Ever experienced a grey elephant?  Sure.  Ever experienced a pink flamingo? Yep.  If they are taken as being differentiated by color, then one can instantly experience a grey flamingo and a pink elephant.  These experiences come with an “imagined” disclaimer, but they are, after all, experiences.  Because of this disclaimer we would both recognise a pink elephant if we ever saw one and be shocked by it.

Gotta stop.

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/