[FRIAM] fluid codes

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:25:47 EDT 2022

SteveG,

Thanks for the Jamie Quinn reference. He touches on some of what I was
hoping to start here. I am somewhat disappointed that I do not seem
capable of posing the kind of open-ended questions that get others to
contribute to a conversation. It may be that Friam isn't the kind of
place I should expect to start or sustain one. OTOH, I understand that
this is my own problem to either solve or not. As a non sequitur, I did
find this nice interview with David Sloan Wilson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsOIiW_Ec4c&ab_channel=WonderfestScience

This got me back to thinking about EricS' "large-deviation" language,
Simpson's paradox, and (dare I say it) extensive-intensive quantity
duality. In his book with Morowitz (that you reference occasionally),
EricS mentions such a duality holding *exactly* when some given entropy
function is *convex*. I would love to know more about this constraint as
it would contribute to an ongoing discussion that I have with Frank and
Barry on when one should expect a meaningful theory of duality.

Tying back into the video, Wilson mentions that many of the popular
inheritance theories (like a theory of selfish genes) bracket some of
its action by defining *vehicles*, which I take to be partition relations
on genes, and possibly amenable to duality talk (via hom-like relations
over genes).