[FRIAM] Who wrote the essay?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Dec 17 20:22:48 EST 2022

OK... who will take on the job of training chatGPT with the top dozen
FriAM characters and subscribing these digital
doppelganger/shadow-selves to the list to weigh in every time their
human counterpart is too slow to throw their hat in the ring?   Sounds
like a job for Dr. StrangeCartoonLove?   I suppose he/she could be
replaced by DAL-E in his/her day-job?

On my first published paper (1984) I had an excruciatingly large amount
of help with the grammatical construction from a professional hired to
work with every scientist and engineer at LANL to guarantee a certain
level of consistency and quality.   I was able to win over the
writer/editor pretty quickly to an awareness that my own style and
grammar was "good enough" without more than some proofing/tweaking from
her, but I was totally shocked at the level of "help" she was used to
providing the older, more senior folks we worked with.   That level of
support went away within a few years and the quality of the "average"
paper went downhill pretty fast.

Much later I found myself publishing with others who had strong ideas
about the construction and stylization of papers and I found myself
giving over to that, mostly by letting them write the first draft and
then working hard to replace any placeholder text they might have
provided for my own contribution in the style of their original and to
shape their portions to be more comfortable to my sensibilities without
changing the semantics underneath the syntax and vocabulary we were
converging on.

This is not the same as what chatGPT does but I wonder if it couldn't be
trained/configured to provide the same style of support/collaboration in
a positive, meaningful way rather than in the implied snarky way we all
imagine it being used by slackers and lo(abu)sers to avoid and cheat the
system or peers, or both?

Richard Gabriel was here a few weeks ago and gave a WedTech talk on his
InkWell project <https://usesthis.com/interviews/richard.gabriel/> which
he made a point to describe as a "writing assistant" and a "collaborator"...