[FRIAM] EU travel

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jun 4 05:17:07 EDT 2022

Jochen -
> I get "mail delivery failed" errors if I try to reply to you directly
> Steve :-( Maybe the mailbox is full?
>
> -J.

Yes, we are on a long visit/tour anchored by the month of June at Jenny
Quillien's place in Weesp, NL.   She is on her own "walkabout" in
Northmost North America ( Alaska) and has gifted a few of us
under-traveled Americans the opportunity to settle at her place for a
long visit to Europe as COVID has lifted and Putin has not launched
WWIII (yet).

The previous guests were delayed most of a week for their return to
Santa Fe due to a false-positive COVID test, but are on their way now
and we arrive there on the 8th, only 1  week behind schedule.

I don't know of other (regularly posting?) members of FriAM living in
Europe besides yourself.   I am sure there are some... Jenny is
nominally a FriAM member and many of you know her in-person but we do
not hear from her online often.   I always like to put a face with a
name when I can and meet colleagues and correspondents in person.

I missed SteveG's son Miles by only a few hours (by coincidence) as we
flew in through Reykjavik.  I haven't seen Miles since he was about 15
or 16... I believe he is living in Estonia part-time and traveling the
Baltics this summer.   I don't think we will get that far from
Amsterdam, though I have always wanted to visit Vilnius and the district
of Uzupis.   Too close to the wounded Russian Bear right now?

This is likely our last transcontinental trip based on climate impacts,
etc.   It feels terribly self-indulgent to burn so much jet fuel for
"simple leisure".   This kind of travel feeds and informs Mary's travel
and I'm using it to inform my continued study of Collective Emergent
Human Consciousness in some sense and trying to understand the
differences between 1st World Europe and 1st World USA, especially in
terms of the adaptability that the Dutch, in particular, have
undergone.   Being in villages that were occupied by Napolean and then
the Russians pushing him back followed by the devastaion of WWI to be
rebuilt and then re-devastated by WWII is fascinating... and these
villages include in some cases 0AD Roman ruins and cathedrals built up
to 1000 years ago and still in use.   This kind of deep-time parallax is
beyond the experience of *most* Americans.   The Native American Pueblo
I live inside was "granted" it's existence by the King of Spain in 1623
but probably didn't exist until after the Chacoan collapse a few
centuries earlier.   NM is home to Clovis of the famous "Clovis Points"
and Clovis culture that runs back a few more thousands of years, but
Europe's legacy of Homo Sapiens going back to early holocene and
Neanderthalis 100,000 years earlier is mind boggling to my foreshortened
sense of human history American Style.

- Steve

try my other e-mails (sas at lava3d.com and sas.lava3d at gmail.com or even
001 505 920 0252 by phone or whatsapp).