[FRIAM] AOL 3.0!

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jun 8 01:55:27 EDT 2022

Frank -

You of the "lost generation" are definitely the frontiersmen of our
domain...

My first e-mail was on an ATT Unix system in 1977,  as all UUNET
addresses were in those days, you had to guess (or know) the
intermediate relays that would get from here to there, off the machine,
much less off campus.   I hit LANL in 1981 and we all had lanl.gov addys
(mine sas, go figure) which meant *most* UUNET folks could get to me
with minimal effort (and vice-versa)...  as I remember it, virtually
every university (and military and scientific org) had a DNS entry by
mid 80s, facilitating it all. An added level of indirection (degree of
freedom) as the solution often is.

I was an early adopter of AFS (as well as the MIT suite of IP-based
toolkits) in the 80s.  AFS was the perfect proof by example that (as I
remember it) lead to NFS.

A *heck* of a lot has happened in the last 50 years... (UNIX Epoch?)
and it is a strange brew of open-source, academic, big tech, big gov,
and scrappy entrepreneurs...