[FRIAM] Kissing Kissinger

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jun 11 13:46:45 EDT 2022

> Mary Catherine Bateson was a close friend of mine.  She and Gregory
> (her father) worked closely together. She and I once shared a long
> train ride where she talked about her life in relationship to not one,
> but two (Margaret Mead) famous parents.  Before Covid, in 2019, she
> invited me for a long weekend to her get-away house in the New
> Hampshire woods. I interviewed her about the early days of systems
> thinking, cybernetics and the Macy conferences.  It was mid-March, and
> I drove her to a wee public house nearby to hear some St. Patrick's
> day music. We lifted a pint and exchanged stories about the Irish for
> whom we shared a special regard.  Mary Catherine died last year.  I
> miss her still.

M -

     Thanks for this personal anecdote...  the biographical sketch I am
reading is Noel Charlton's "Understanding Gregory Bateson"...

     I'm glad you got a "last pint" in with her.   My Mary is just now
reading (finished actually) Harold Blume's collection of "Last Poems"
("'til I end my Song") by poets from 16c to 2002.  Not always their very
last poem or even ones contemplating mortality but those also.   A
finely curated collection IMO.

   Here in Weesp, borrowing Jenny's house, her books, and even her
friends, I met someone who I think you have to meet.  By coincidence (or
not) he was just in Sweden meeting with our mutual colleague Anders
Varger there...   Stephen and I know Anders through Hubville, but their
work together involves bringing the very young and the very old together
to cogitate/ideate about the future (the former have a lot of energy and
a big stake, the latter have some perspective and limited stake)...  I
don't know if the work comes through well in the translations, it sounds
more meaningful when Hank (Kune... educore.nl) speaks about it
in-person.   I haven't checked in with Anders yet.

https://en.framtidensroster.org/

- S