[FRIAM] From Uri: A new product in the NetLogo software ecology - Turtle Universe

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at redfish.com
Wed Jun 22 05:23:55 EDT 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Uri Wilensky <uri at northwestern.edu>
Date: Tue, Jun 21, 2022, 11:30 PM
Subject: [netlogo-users] A new product in the NetLogo software ecology -
Turtle Universe
To: <netlogo-users at googlegroups.com>

Dear NetLogo users,

NetLogo is now available as an app on your phones & tablets! Look for
Turtle Universe (TU) in the Android
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.civitas.netlogo> and iOS
app stores <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/turtle-universe/id1455235317>. TU
is especially designed for young aspiring modelers, but also has new
features that may be of interest to the wider NetLogo community. TU has
many features that take advantage of the mobile platforms that it is built
for, such as sensor, gesture, and sound support, and includes a bundled
physics extension. As this is a *public beta release*, we are very
interested in your feedback. And keep in mind that we have more features
planned to come!

Fig 1. A Turtle Universe screenshot of the interface of the NetLogo Wolf
Sheep Predation model

*Features*

TU aims to give learners, especially young learners, a fun way to learn
agent-based modeling and programming. It enables users to build models
using NetLogo’s usual text-based language and also includes Horn &
Wilensky’s  block-based programming interface, NetTango, and features for
authoring* interactive guidance for models*. An array of new extensions
enable model authors to respond to users’ actions through *gesture and
sensor support*; to produce models that include *sound and physics support*;
and to control many more aspects of the *user interface*.

Fig 2. A screenshot of the Guided Intro of the TU Hidden Playground model

*Globalization*

TU supports the vibrant* international* NetLogo *community *by building in
globalization support. TU supports *translation* of the NetLogo interface,
the model info tab and the documentation of the NetLogo language, as well
as the interactive learning materials. At this moment, hand-crafted *Spanish
*and *Chinese *translations are bundled with the release. With your help,
we hope to expand the support to many other languages.

Fig 3. A screenshot of the Turtle Universe Models Library translated into
Spanish

*Availability*

TU is now available at App Store & Google Play as a *public beta*, with
official support for *iOS*, *Android*, and *Chrome OS* devices. It is also
available as a standalone package for *Windows* and *macOS*.  You can *get
it now* at https://turtlesim.com/products/turtle-universe/.

*Feedback*

We’d love for you to take TU for a spin and we welcome your feedback and
bug reports. With updates on a monthly basis, we hope to address issues and
introduce more authoring features soon. Want to contribute more? We will
soon announce ways for you to participate in the development of the NetLogo
ecosystem, which now includes Turtle Universe!

Turtle Universe is authored by John Chen and Uri Wilensky. Please feel free
to submit your bug reports, feature requests, or design ideas in our issue
tracker (https://github.com/NetLogo-Mobile/Turtle-Universe-Issue-Tracker),
or send your feedback to feedback at ccl.northwestern.edu and bug reports to
bugs at ccl.northwestern.edu.

Best,

—Uri

Uri Wilensky

Professor of Learning Sciences, Computer Science and Complex Systems

Director of the Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling
Northwestern University