[FRIAM] monsoon

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:57:55 EDT 2022

Dear Phellow Phriamers,

I seem, knock wood, to be back in the saddle again.

I have a question which I hope one of you will address,  Roger?

Is the present weather pattern truly a North American monsoon?  I can see
that the situation has some features of a monsoon, and I can absolutely see
why NWS is not interested in dickering with the public over fine points:
It's summer, it's raining, that's really all we need to know.  Still, I am
in New England at the moment, where we are experiencing a bout of cool
weather, many days rainy.  I associate your Santa Fe's monsoon with New
England's hot humid weather, which occurs when the Bermuda High builds
backwards into the SE US.  The thermal low over the desert SW now becomes
the "seam" between the Pacific and the Atlantic subtropical highs, and
moisture pours in from Gulf of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez.

The present situation is a classic omega block, no?  It presumably arises
more from global circulatory forces and less so from regional heating
differentials.  It bears a greater relation to what happened in the Pacific
NW last summer, than to a classic Southwest US Monsoon, eh?

While (if?) I have your attention, can you give me some way to think about
the relative  effects on air density of adding water vapor and adding heat
temperature?  Some sort of thing like, 3 degrees of dewpoint equals 1 degree
of temp. It's almost assuredly not linear.

Nick

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/