[FRIAM] A* and emulatoin

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 27 12:54:46 EDT 2022

I appreciate your addition of the 'M' to the *-match and want to remind
myself out loud in front of you that I once (and maybe should again)
preferred *synthetic* to *artificial*.... in the early days of VR,
"Artificial Reality" was in the running as a term, but I felt *Synthetic
Reality* carried the assertive sense of intentionality.  "Artificial"
felt more passive... an artifact of a willful creation with "Synthetic"
feeling closer to the dynamic act of *synthesizing*.  And of course now
(maybe not then), the spirit OF a mashup vs a whole-cloth thing comes
through with "Synthetic".   This of course before I came to learn the
terms artifice and artificer in this context.

Is "Ethics" not in some sense *artificed* or *constructed* morality?   I
don't know, it is definitely an interesting tangent to all the other
tangents that we tangent on here (tangentially).   As an aside, does a
tangent of a tangent (of a tangent) imply higher and higher derivatives,
it seems like it is precisely that?!  but in what dimension?