[FRIAM] A* and emulatoin

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:04:25 EDT 2022

Yeah, I don't like "synthetic" as much because it seems to rely on a false dichotomy between us and the other animals. Is a termite mound "synthetic"? Granted, "artificial" may hide some of that, too. But I think it's reasonable to say there are, say, naturally occurring (geological) mounds. Then there are artisan-generated, artificial, termite mounds, where the termites are the artisans. [⛧]

And none of that artisanal stuff *requires* the artisan to reductionistically "understand" everything from first principles in the way "synthetic" might. "Synthetic" also often carries another false dichotomy between synthesis and analysis. It's false because nobody ever does pure [synthe|analy]sis. They're always done together. "Artificial" allows for that mode mixing. [We've had this discussion before in the usage of terms like "naturfact".]

And that targets artificial morality nicely, I think. I've never really grokked the difference between morality and ethics, I think because making the distinction is a kind of composition/division fallacy. Ethics seems to carry the pretense of (or a slippery slope to) universality/monism, whereas morals seem to carry the pretense of individualism/relativism. If laid out on a spectrum, that's fine. But to draw a sharp line seems like sophistry.

While I'm a consultant on a project regarding the ethics of AI in medicine, what interests me most is simulating the agency of an individual practitioner ... similar to the way we used to play red-blue-gray teams back at lockheed ... or the way you might simulate modern [cough] cyberwarfare.

[⛧] Of course, you have to go all the way down to the 3rd defn in AH to find the right one. So if "synthetic" might mean "cobbled together from stuff you found lying around", then maybe it's better than "artificial". What I mean by both terms is closer to "glitch" ... a little bit of intent and a little bit of accident.

AH "3. A phenomenon or feature not originally present or expected and caused by an interfering external agent, action, or process, as an unwanted feature in a microscopic specimen after fixation, in a digitally reproduced image, or in a digital audio recording."

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ